Friday, January 7, 2011

Memorable Creations Part 1

I was a little heistant at first to accept request from friends to make them a cake since I feel I'm so behind amongst the great cake decorators out there. But every successful cake artist had to start somewhere. Right?
And what a journey it has been! I did not realized that I had made more than 50 cakes in the last 10 months. I must say that every cake is a learning experience, a challenge. The stress level varies on each creation. I know, I know, it's just a Cake for crying out loud...but it's me. I've always thought of my being a perfectionist both an asset and a flaw. When you've got high(er) standards, you'll tend to work more.

Anyway, I would like to feature some of the most memorable cakes I've made - memorable because it's either the stress level was very high, tried to fixed quite a bit of disaster, my firstime or it's just special.
Picture
This is the very first ordered cake requested by a co-worker for her husband's birthday.  This is a chocolate cake with cream cheese buttercream filling and iced in buttercream.  I just learned making flowers out of royal icing when I made this cake. Oh man, I will never go back to making flowers out of royal icing again, my hand and wrist were numbed and hurt so bad after piping more than 80 flowers.

However, seeing the look on my co-worker's face when she saw the cake made it all worth it. So she ordered another one for another friend of hers after seeing this. Did I say, I wouldn't make another one of this?

Picture
This is the very first figures I made out of RKT (Rice Krispie Treats). They were not  perfect but for a beginner, I was proud of this accomplishment then.  The cake is chocolate, filled with cream cheese chocolate buttercream icing and iced in chocolate buttercream. The figures were covered with fondant. I made this cake for my daughter's teachers at the daycare during the Appreciation week.

Picture
My friend Karen ordered this cake for a Baby Shower Party she was hosting.

A lot of first on this one, very first tiered cake, very first baby shower cake and first time to mold animals and a baby. I really enjoyed making the cake and seeing it come together. Really very proud of this creation, my original design and most especially when Karen message me that everyone at the baby shower loved the cake.

This is a three tiered chocolate cake - the bottom and middle tier represents a tree and the top tier the sky.  The accents were made of fondant.

Picture
Okay, I know this is a simple cake. What is the story behind this cake? A friend asked me the night before to make a small cake for our friend Dexter. He loves tigers. So I made an 8 in chocolate cake, filled with cream cheese chocolate buttercream and form the head of a tiger. I was basically in front of my computer holding two icing bags (white and black buttercream) and started piping a tiger face. And voila! Not bad for a beginter I find.

Picture
Go Diego Go!  A co-worker asked me to make a birthday cake for her son Logan. It was so much fun making all the animals. My biggest challenged on this cake is making Diego. kept on asking my daughter if it looks like Diego, but my greatest critic kept on saying no...but in the end I think it wasn't too bad. I love this cake.

Thanks for looking...watch out for the next part!

No comments:

Post a Comment